From: kevin on 11/24/2002
this is how i got rid of the problem a bit long windid but it works.
1. start / run.
2. Type (MSCONFIG)and select ok
3. Genral tab select (SELECTIVE STARTUP)and click on the check next to (LOAD STARTUP GROUP ITEMS)this will prevent programs in the windows startup and registry from loading automatically.
4. on the (WIN.INI)Tabclick on the windows folder and click on the check marks for (LOAD=, and RUN=)
5. on the (SYSTEM.INI) click next to boot folder and locate (COM.DRV)
the line should read (COMM.DRV=COMM.DRV.)if it dose not then click the check mark for (COMM.DRV)
6. select ok and restart the computer.
7. onstart up you will notice a messege box informing you that you are noe in diagnostic mode. click ok
8. select run (MSCONFIG) should still be in the run box if not put it there and ok.
9. select the tab (STARTUP) ok
10. that was the easy bit now you will need to check and uncheck boxes (process of illimination) until you find the affending file.
11. (if you have fix-it utillites by ontrack you could start with that as i founjd this to be the offending item. GOOD LUCK.