From: Tim on 04/22/2005
This happened to me when i was trying to play a game. I have win 98. if you have another computer, then figure out a way to adjust the settings (16bit, 32bit etc....) in the properties window. If you don't understand, then do this:
1. Exit all programs so that the opening screen is up. (startup screen)
2. right click your mouse (make sure that it is the center of the screen, just guess where it is.)
3. press the up arrow key and enter
4. press "Tab" 6 times
5. press the Right arrow key 5 times.
6. press "Tab" once more.
7. press the up arrow key, this is changing the colors i would try pressing the up arrow key so that your settings are at 16 colors.
8. press "Tab" five more times
9. press enter (This applies)
10. Press alt-F4 and this exits OR press tab once more and press enter, this selects OK.
restart your computer and it should start in 16 color modes. experiment with it and PLEASE INFORM ME IF THIS WORKS!!!!