From: chrisc on 08/09/2003
My tests of the DWL-520 revealed the following:
1. The DWL-520 worked fine on two of my older machines, an A-Bit BP6 (1999) and a 1998-vintage 300MHz Celeron machine.
2. The DWL-520 did not work reliably on an ASUS A7V machine (2001), although it installed correctly, could ping (but only with considerable packet loss), and it could transfer small files.
It seemed to "hang" during the transfer of large files.
3. I therefore don't think the PCI 2.2 issue is the problem, as none of my machines have PCI 2.2, and the DWL-520 worked fine on the older boards.
By "worked fine", I mean:
1. Continuous pings worked. Not one packet was lost over several hours of testing.
2. Large file transfers (100 MB) worked repeatedly. Speed was good.
3. Range was good, although I only tested up to about 30m or so.
So it would seem that the ASUS mboard and the DWL-520 just don't get on with each other.